Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Slaves and the Census

     I was raised believing that slavery was never right.  Slavery was a complete injustice to any human.  Clarence Darrow is a cousin to my family; a fact that is now researched and documented by my brother. Darrow was a strong man with even stronger beliefs in what is right and wrong.  He not only defended human rights and fought against slavery but his family also aided in those slaves attempting to make their way north thru the Underground Railroad with shelter, food and connections.

       Building the family tree thru Ancestry.com has been more than a just interesting, it has been amazing educational too.  Here is a prime example.

     I have never thought about how many countries allowed slavery.  In school we learned of the United States history that revolved around the slaves.  In elementary school, I participated in a singing program where we wore black on our faces and sang ballads like
Swing Low Sweet Chariot.  You know that would not be allowed today.  But it never crossed my mind how slavery was world wide.  I guess, in my research I have also found that the United States was one of the last countries, of any true size and power, to ban the ownership of another human being.  Shocking. 

     The diagrams below are the reason that I felt compelled to write this post.  The National Census right here in the United States asked many questions of each household.  Just as it does today.  Take a look at the questions and the dates of each census.  Now, if this isn't an eye opener, then thing about the fact that our  grand parents were standing at the door, with their friendly census taker, jotting down the number of 'free white' people lived in the house. 


     These records tell a lot more than the number and names of the household members.  Don't you think?
  

No comments:

Post a Comment